Enroll your child in full-day Kindergarten at a PWPSD school near you. All families welcome!
Online registration for the upcoming 2023-2024 school year is OPEN! Kindergarten registration is open to children turning five by December 31.
Beginning the educational journey is an exciting step for children and their families. Please review the following information in preparation for the start of the school year. If you have additional questions, please contact your school.
Prior to the start of the school year, Kindergarten start-up dates are published under the "Registration" link on your school's website.
Welcome to Kindergarten!
|8:20 a.m.||Arrive at school: Get settled, stow personal belongings and prepare for the day.|
|8:45 a.m.||Centres: Activity-based opportunities for free exploration, cooperation and developing social and language skills.|
|9:20 a.m.||Learning time: Stories, the alphabet, songs and playing with words – so many fun ways to learn!|
|9:45 a.m.||Fine motor development activities: Play dough, puzzles and forming letters.|
|10:00 a.m.||Washroom break and snacks|
|10:15 a.m.||Sharing and foundational numeracy activities.|
|11:00 a.m.||Outdoor recess|
|11:30 a.m.||Theme-based learning|
|Noon||Physical activity in the gymnasium.|
|1:00 p.m.||Literacy and artistic exploration.|
|1:30 p.m.||Centres: More activity-based learning.|
|2:00 p.m.||Outdoor recess|
|2:30 p.m.||Snacks, followed by games or cross-graded reading activities.|
|3:00 p.m.||Wrap up circle time. Preparation for dismissal.|
Harry Balfour School Kindergarten students develop their fine motor skills while having fun decorating cookies.
Parents consistently rank our schools as ‘Very High’ and ‘High’ in the following Accountability Pillar Survey categories:
- Safe and Caring
- Work Preparation
- Program of Studies
- School Improvement
- Quality of Education
- Parental Involvement
- High School Completion
Register your child for Kindergarten
Watch our Kindergarten Registration video
Please note: Registration is not complete until it has been approved by the school office. If you are unable to upload scanned copies of your child’s birth certificate and proof of residency, please contact the school office. Other documents, such as custody information, may be required by the school office.
Student Transportation Manager Joanne Peters (right) teaches bus safety to Kindergarten students at Harry Balfour School.
Free transportation is provided to students who qualify due to distance from their boundary school. Before the first day of school, bus drivers call parents to provide the bus route number, along with pick-up and drop-off times. After you receive your child’s bus route number, remember to download the Bus Status app for up-to-date bus information.
Preparing for the first day of Kindergarten
Positive energy at home goes a long way with self-esteem in the classroom.
Some schools begin with staggered entry. At the start of the year, small groups of students receive their first introduction to school on different days. Inquire at your school about the times and dates.
What to pack:
Pack clean running shoes, a change of clothes, and a nutritious lunch and snacks.
Contact your child’s school to find out if you need to purchase school supplies.
- Read to your child for 20 minutes per day.
- Get involved at your child’s school.
The Early Years
Junior Kindergarten and Playschool
The playdough learning centre is a favourite for Savanna School Junior Kindergartens.
- Beaverlodge Elementary School
- Bonanza School
- Eaglesham School
- Harry Balfour School
- Hythe Regional School
- Penson School (Grovedale)
- Robert W. Zahara Public School
- Rycroft School
- Savanna School
- Spirit River Regional Academy
- Teepee Creek School
- Wembley Elementary School
Some playschools are run by licensed Family and Child Support Services (FCSS) Early Childhood Development staff and offer a play-based program that follows four areas of wellness.
PWPSD has a partnership with FCSS for playschool programming at:
- Bezanson School
- Clairmont Community School
- Elmworth School
- La Glace School
- Whispering Ridge Community School
Private Playschools and Preschools
PWPSD partners with privately-run playschools and preschools to provide programming for children with identified mild, moderate or severe disabilities/delays.
A private playschool is offered at:
- Ridgevalley School
Speech and Language Development
Here’s what most five-year-olds can do:
- Say most speech sounds correctly and are easy to understand.
- Speak in sentences that are five-to-six words in length.
- Ask questions using who, what, where, and why.
- Use the present, future, and past tenses (She walks to the park. She will walk to the park. She walked to the park.).
- Retell a story by naming the characters and talking about what happened.
- Use different types of words, such as action (kick) and describing words (yellow, cold).
- Follow three directions at a time.
- Understand many concepts, such as colours, location words, and numbers.
- Put things into basic groups, such as fruits, animals, and toys.
- Understand most adult conversation, including sayings like, 'Time to hit the sack'.
- Understand and answer most questions appropriately.
- Like to listen to rhymes and make up their own rhymes.
- Makes eye contact with other children and adults.
- Takes turns and wait for their turn during activities.
- Sits quietly and listens to the teacher during circle time.
- Says hi or hello and goodbye appropriately.
Some five-year-olds may still have trouble:
- Saying the sounds sh, ch, j, s, z, v, r, and th. The s and z sounds may be lisps.
- Asking questions that start with when.
- Understanding the words above and below.
If you have concerns about your child’s development, contact Karen Chrenek, District Principal at PWPSD, (780) 532-8133.
Kindergarten is offered at:
Clairmont Community School
Harry Balfour School
Hythe Regional School
La Glace School
Robert W. Zahara School
Spirit River Regional Academy
Teepee Creek School
Wembley Elementary School
Whispering Ridge Community School
Hutterite Colony Schools:
Bay Tree Colony School
Birch Meadows Colony School
Codesa Colony School
Crooked Creek Colony School
Doe River Colony School
Grandview Colony School
Shady Lane Colony School
Silver Valley Colony School